The 2007 track season is moving right along and things are going well. "I'd say well to... some-what well?" We've done nine track meets so far this spring and have seen at least one p.r. at each meet. In fact, I had a decathlon last month in which we were able to produce 9 personal bests within a dec. competition. We still have plenty of ground to cover though.

We are trying to develop in 2-3 years what typically takes an athlete to develop in 5-7 years. Coming in with little to no experience in explosive and technical events adds to the challenge. Never-the-less, we're pressing on with high expectations.

This has probably been the most strenuous spring season of my life, having competed now eight weekends in a row, one of those being a full decathlon. I'll get a few weekends off this month as we prepare for a big meet in texas in early june. We'll try and qualify for nationals there, though it may be a little too soon to expect that high of a score for me.

The big goal for the summer is to get a qualifying mark for the olympic trials for next summer. My practice marks are adding up to around 7,500 points. The provisional qualifying mark for the olympic trials is 7,600.

It's a tall order, but I really don't want to wait until next spring to qualify. My coach is fairly convinced I've got another 1,000 points in me that could come out in the next 12 months. That's encouraging, because I'll need to break 8,000 points next june to have a shot at Beijing.

If you have a trained eye, it's obvious to see the various areas in which my form needs improvement in each of the events. Hopefully 13 months of polishing will be sufficient.
"...precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little, there a little."
That's all for now... time to go to practice.

12 comments:
Dawn just said she bets you can beat me around St. Paul's in a race now. I'm not real sure, but I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt.
Proud of ya! Keep it up!
Man dude. I love to see pictures of you in action. It gets me pumped so much. It's physical evidence of the power of God if we rely on him wholeheartedly. Especially the picture of you jumping...I love it. Keep it up dude, we're all behind you.
Wow, it's amazing how much you look like me in that outfit.
you are a beast... thats all there is too it. Man, i agree with scott, it's just plain exciting.
hey, remember that one time when raber and i said if you made it to the olympics we'd carry your bags? well... i think raber is starting his rap career, which leaves me open in '08. pray about it.
seriously, i love hearing your updates on how training is going. i'm definitely living vicariously through you.
and i can vouch for richard wearing spandex.
peace to you my friend,
t
I have some comments about these pictures on a slideshow I made of them on www.myspace.com/rejoicewithjoyce
The LJ pic is awesome! Good form, and the mountains behind you...very nice.
Keep working.
Coach Sols
Jon,
Great pictures! I gotta tell you, after looking at the jav, shot and disc pictures, you have come a long way in just a couple of years. Great position in that jav picture especially! I really admire you selling out and going after your goals the way you have. I also have to say, "Holy crap! You're huge!" I got to hear Dan O'Brian talk back in December and he talked about doing high rep work in the weightroom, like 50 rep lat pulldowns. Has your coach had you doing things like that? You've put on some serious mass. Anyway, I know every one can read this, good luck and stay healthy.
Coach Davis
LSN Throws
Thanks to all of you for your encouragement.
Davis- we do a lot of crossfit.com workouts in the off season. The stuff they have on their site is better than anything I've ever done. (it's what the actors on the movie "300" trained with) We do mostly olympic lifts- low reps, high sets. We barely touch upper body specifics: some dumbbell inclines and presses and a lot of renegade rows (a pushup/row mix). We often do sets of plyos between each set of lifts. Almost everything we do is full body and explosive. Also, the kettle bell is an integral part of every session in the weight room. We use it for warmups, legs, abs, delts, back... everything.
I still don't know how to throw that dumb discus correctly. I may try and track you down this summer while I'm in town for shortino's wedding. On a good day I'm hitting 140, which is unacceptable.
Same with high jump, coach sols. On a good day I'm clearing 6'4", but I'm not yet consistent, and I fall apart in a meet. I also need to put a couple more inches on the bar.
Congratulations on another conference win!
Sheesh...you have some really scary facial expressions. Let's try to work on those before China, ok?
Thanks for the encouragement Jonathan.
Jonathan Freaking Collins! Look at you, stud. It reminds me of that picture from Conference XC Freshman year when you looked like He-Man compared to the rest of us.
I'll be in San Diego next June for the SD Marathon. I'll look you up.
Post a Comment