Dear Scott L, Jeremy C, Ryan S, Michael S, Matthew S, Kevin B, Seth S, Caleb B, Seth B, Casey P, Corey P, Dan K, Tracee H, Rob M, Heather S, Audrey W, Pete R., Scott W, Jesse, Justin J, Danny S, Richard R, Tyler K, Emily C, Sandy C, Tyler Y, Bobby V, Randy S, John D, Brent E, and anyone else I forgot,
This is an open invitation for you guys to join me in a month of preseason training. Part of what we do in the late summer/early fall is a fitness program called "Crossfit". It would require you getting a one month membership to a fitness center ($30-$50; preferably one with olympic lifting, kettlebells and good pull up bars) and takes no more than one hour a day. There may even be a "Crossfit" gym in your city.
It's a lot of fun to do with a partner or two, and can be as relaxed or competitive as you want. My brother and I do it every chance we get. All the weights and exercises are adapted to your size and ability. Most every workout is for time, so it creates an incredible mix of strength and aerobic challenge.
If you are at all interested, let me know and I might make a new blog for it that we could all post on with our progress. I think it would be a ton of fun to have my friends involved for a month. Also, most of you have at some point come to me concerning fitness. I recommend this style of training more than any other for overall fitness.
I would want you to start on monday, august 5th. That gives you a week to find a gym, think it over, etc. Leading up to next week I HIGHLY recommend you run 10-30 minutes a day, do 50 push-ups and 50 sit-ups daily (break it up with rest) and target a healthy diet. Toss in a couple of rest days this week, but don't go in to next week having done nothing.
I've done countless styles of exercise and I promise you this approach to training will have you more fit than you have ever been in your life.
Check it out at crossfit.com. It's three days on, one day rest. We will do whatever the workout of the day tells us to do.
7.28.2007
Workout Invitation, starting 8-5-07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
What?!?!?!!? No Joyce C on that list?!?!?!?!? :?)
what was I thinking?! I forgot about your mad pull-up skills.
Oh gee... can't bloody wait.
Can pregnant girls join in the fun too?
Monday is a rest day on the site. I plan to do sundays workout instead.
Five rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
25 Back extensions
Does Fork lifting count?
no, no fork lifting, only butt kicking.
12:20 for sundays workout...
Z's dad
So I had to change mine up a bit because I blew out two treadmills jumping on at full speed for the quarter miles. I also plugged in a couple sets of push ups in place of some back extensions.
It looked like this:
(wmup: 1/2 mile jog, sprint drills, stick drills, light over head weights)
90 sec stair machine, full speed
25 back ext
90 sec stair machine, full speed
25 back ext
90 sec stair machine, full speed
25 back ext
90 sec stair machine, full speed
25 push ups
90 sec stair machine, full speed
25 push ups
I capped it off with a 100 ab combo, 10 russian leans, and some vault drills
today-
Those L pull-ups hurt.
I did those in sets of 5,
The stricts in sets of 10,
and the kips however I could(15, 10,10,5).
I didn't bring a watch but I am sure my 800's were pitiful.
Z's dad
Wednesday I didn't do it- we went and took a windsurfing lesson instead. Pretty cool. Our friend hooked us up with a beginners board and setup, so now we will try it locally.
Yesterday I did 11 miles of mountain biking in the early morning, then 2 hours of climbing at Ibex, THEN I tried muscle ups. none of the 4 guys I was with could do them! Then our friend Josh- #6 in the world at speed climbing last year- came over and did 15 after we challenged him. It was sick.
We did a modified version of the workout in shame.
How can I prepare for muscle ups?
The most important factor for muscle ups is in the grip. You have to start your pull up holding the bar near your wrists, almost hooking your fists over the bar. Next, you have to move fast from the beginning and never slow down. Punch your chest through your extended arms at the bottom and then go for it as your body swings back. Think "gymnist" more than "muscle up".
On your way back down, push your body backwards a little and again punch your chest through your locked arms. Commit to locking your arms, going all the way down. It is actually easier than a half drop, because it positions you to swing back up.
Also, perfecting the kipping pull up really helps.
I hope you're eating more with all this work.
I got through most of yesterday's workout okay. I started tearing through my hand on the final set of muscle ups, so I separated the movements to lessen the friction.
100 air squats
5 muscle ups
75 a.s.
10 m.u. (4,3,3)
50 a.s.
15 m.u. (5,4,3,3)
25 a.s.
20 mix (10 bar dips, 10 pull ups, 10 bar dips, 10 pull ups)
---------------------------
16:10
eating?
I can't get enough into my belly to keep up. I am getting up in the middle of the night to gorge.
I understand "how" the muscle up works...I just can't seem to do it. I am doing kipping pullups and dips until I can.
My legs hurt from yesterdays squats. I am hobbling like an old man.
i hobbled around like an old woman for 5 days after my first cross fit work out!!
So, we're on vacation until next week. I want to start then. However, I don't get what workout we are following from the crossfit website. Help this old man.
Zimbaby-
it's the top workout on the front page, updated daily. There's a date on it, too.
The demos to the left and FAQ will help if it's confusing.
Yesterday I did two and half hours at Ibex, then did the dips on the handrail bars at our friends pool... no cleans.
Hey this is Paul Merrell
I was with your Mom at District assembly and she told me about the workout. I've been working out for the past two months 4 to 5 nights a week just doing set ups, push-ups, leg lifts and curls. However I'd like to do something like what your doing. As you know I've never been a work out guy more the musician. But man since I've been working out, I even play guitar better. I'm going to talk to Zim about doing it with him. God bless.
Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment