8.07.2007

And they're off!!

Crossfit started yesterday for some of us.

In California, Sandy has her crew:



Audrey Williams, Yvette Bellamy,
Ali Berres, Kala Hubbard, and a few potentials.

In Kansas City:

Jeremy Collins (and his climbing crew), Ron Zimmerman, possibly the Shortinos?,

and the infamous American Gladiator-

Joyce Collins (a.k.a. "Storm")


Anybody else? Bend? Nampa? Co. Springs? Olathe?



Sandy and friends are doing alternative workouts to compensate the level of difficulty. For yesterday, instead of doing 7 snatches with increasingly difficult weight, I had them do:

Run

5x20 airsquats, 10 dumbbell presses

abs

Let me know how it's going or if you need ideas for alternative exercises due to difficulty or available facilities.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know what's really weird? I started a new running program on the 5th...but didn't see your blog till the 6th. I'm just running and weights on the off days. We have a gym in the basement which is really convenient.

R. M. A. J. Romero said...

As fun as all of this sounds, I have to wash my hair...

Anonymous said...

Jonathan,
are some of the pictures you post proffessional? that top one's especially cool!

zibaby said...

Jackie- why is it so hard for professionals to spell professional? I suffer from the same symptom.

That top shot is indeed awesome. Is that from the London photog? I want a print.

Here's the week:

mon-
12-9-6-3 snatch + bent over row; .3 mile run in between sets:21 minutes

tues- rest

wed-
UMKC workout:
- 1/4 mile
- traverse brick wall 100 feet
- 1 mile
- climb the underside of the parking garage 5 times(I brought gloves this time, JDC)
- 2 reps of 101 stairs
- 1/4 mile
-traverse the library south wall on fingertips
-200 yds
-climb the pillar on the fitness center
-200yds
-50 ab raises on the pull-up bar and get this- one and a half muscle ups!
-1/4 mile
-one "FULL NELSON"
-200 yds
-stretching at the art institute
-cool down

thurs-
AM: pullups:
-21, 21, 16, 16, 18, 9= 101
-five 1/4 runs(ouch- first two were too fast).
-I actually went to 20:40 to round out my 100+1
PM: 2 hrs @ Ibex

Anonymous said...

I kind of have an alternative workout: Today was "trees and shrubs day". Looked like this. Hold a gas powered hedge trimmer weighing approximately 20 lbs. at shoulder level or higher for about an hour and a half. Alternating a chainsaw for the large stuff. Next hold a saw on the end of a 12 foot pole for several minutes. End by raking debris. This is all done in 100 degree heat.

Then, eat lunch, drive to a different "complex" and do it again. This time add several degrees to the temp.

If any of you would like to try this workout, give me a call!

SSS

Yoici said...

Yea, well I had the hard workout of sitting in Missionary convention yesterday...and District Assembly today!!!!! :?) Actually, I heard a wonderful, though rather long, sermon on Tuesday night. I hope I can get a copy of it!!!!

Joyce Collins said...

Anonymous SSS...what are you, a Sidonian? :?) (I Kings 5:6)

jonathandy said...

Jackie- yes, that top shot is professional. A London based company came to town and needed some athlete models. It was fun stuff.

Seth- Incredible! You've found a way to make thousands doing similar things the rest of us are paying money to do. Somebody's a genius!

Jer- Keep up the good work. You'll have to find a week when you can do all your day job stuff out here and then join us on the track.

zibaby said...

Bad week for crossfit for me...

Monday I hiked 3 hours of loose talus in a drainage, then climbed 1300 feet of really bad limestone in western Utah on Notch Peak. This took about 13 hours. I got to a hotel at 1 am and crashed.

Tuesday I drove to Salt Lake City, and flew home.

Wednesday I did 20, 15, 10, 5 sets of curls, shoulder raises, shoulder press, then four repeats of the "FULL NELSON". If you would ever like to try a FULL NELSON with me, let me know. Jesse and I were both at 194 hbpm afterwards.

Thursday I did 6 sets of two 5.11's back to back at Ibex, and then lifted a quesadilla burger at applebees.

Tomorrow I will drive 4.5 hours, climb 12 hours in Arkansas, then sleep, and drive home again.

Virginia Earwicker said...

Can I make mud bricks or something? There's gotta be an alternative for people who live in the sticks. Thanks for the invite though!

Anonymous said...

Zim here,

I am a week behind on our Crossfit trek, but I am becoming addicted. A couple of days have really beat me up, but I actually like the variety and intensity. Yesterday, I was unable to even rest my triceps on the door frame of the car as we drove around.

Question, yesterday, for me, was Back Squats 3,3,3,3,3,3,3. This was definitely a hernia level workout, but it didn't take long, maybe 25 minutes. Should I do something else along with this workout, am I doing something wrong?

jonathandy said...

Zim-
It's okay that some of the workouts don't take long. Some of the shorter workouts are designed to be short because of the difficulty level of the previous or following days.

If you add an extensive warmup, which I believe they have tips on the website for, or if you add abs or something after, you should get the amount of time you want. Usually it's plenty without adding stuff. Isn't great when you're too tired to drive home from the weight room? I've had to cut off many phone conversations after a workout because I could no longer hold the phone up to my ear. :)

Brent- I'm thinking if Virginia can stretch out real stiff you could bench press her and then curl a couple of orphans. :)

(Remember: Bodily exercise profits little: but godliness profits all things - 1 Tim. 4:8
You just keep doing what your doing. ;)

zibaby said...

hoo boy.
Saturday- 1500 feet of climbing in arkansas, 3,211 chigger bites.

Monday- did last weeks workout:
1 mile
100 pullups
200 push
300 squat
1 mile=
45 min.

I can barely type this morning.

brojer

Scott Williams said...

I think you're all nuts!

Anonymous said...

Zim here,

I am several days behind, but Saturday I did a 45 year old man modified workout.
1 mile
50 pullups
100 pushups
150 squats

There was a strong possibility, that if Jesus came by Sunday morning, I would just have to pass given my inability to move.

Scott, you're right. Keep curling that fork.

zibaby said...

Good call Zim...half on that workout is the way to go. It knocked me out.

I've been cutting back on the misery.

Anonymous said...

Zim again,

Hurt my neck on the shoulder presses Sunday. Turned my ankle playing wiffleball in the back yard, and my knee is killing me. So, some days are good, some days that Senior Discount at IHOP is sounding very close (4 years).