12.14.2007

Training videos for "Coach" Michael Shortino

Back by popular demand, here are some more videos from practice a few weeks ago. They're not bad, but I've had some of the biggest improvements of my time here in San Diego within the last two weeks.


Pole Vault- short run, small pole, 14 ft. bungee- a decent plant and rockback, but lacking full inversion and push off for finish, which I am now starting to do (and toying with a 16' bungee from short run)


Standing start hurdles, 39 inches (3 inches lower than race height) and 1 ft. closer. Things are looking good at medium speed. I had a decent go this week at full speed out of the blocks, but I'm still getting a little sloppy on form when I go all out. It's 10 times better than this month last year though, so that's exciting.



This is one of probably over a thousand rotational drills I've done this fall for discus. Something clicked last weekend and their's hope of this being a strength this year. I have yet to compete with confidence in the discus, so this is an exciting breakthrough. (though this vid. is before that breakthrough. Studying form in slow-mo is a definite help)



And here's some saturday morning "strong man" fitness training "fun". It's full of random creations of exhaustion blended in to a circuit. They're a nice break from the focused intensity of the week. The Easy Button is a new must have for our saturday circuits.

4 comments:

Scott Lee said...

I'm proud of you man, those videos look good.

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome!! But, aren't you afraid that pole is going to break when you are doing the high jump:)

Anonymous said...

Jonathan, I am so proud of your hard work - thanks for the videos so we can see what you are up to.

Amy said...

Jonathan,
Yes, I've been checking out your blog from time to time. I guess I'm always hoping I can get some good training tips. I had no idea that all I needed to invest in was a very large truck tire and a sledgehammer!! Seriously, I just told Chris that, after completing a couple of short course triathlons, I wanted to make it my goal to complete a long course triathlon this summer. I just can't seem to get motivated in this weather, though (nothing like socal weather). Looks like I should hit the weight room at school. Any tips?!