7.20.2006

Ahh, conviction

So I am almost finished reading "Blue Like Jazz"- an overly popular book that is filled with bad theology, but painted so well with skilled writing and a few splashes of one-liner truths that the masses of the church have it on their list of favorites.

Amidst the disappointment, I was intrigued by one of those few splashes which reads, "If I live what I believe, then I don't believe very many noble things. My life testifies that the first thing I believe is that I am the most important person in the world. My life testifies to this because I care more about my food and shelter and happiness than about anybody else." (p.111)

It only encourages the recent question I've been throwing at myself-"Does every material possession I choose to consume that is not necessary for survival reveal my inadequacies of selfless love? I mean honestly, when I buy the $2 coffee or the $200 jacket or...whatever, aren't I saying somewhere deeper than I choose to look that I'm more concerned with self pleasure than I am the child whose life I could literally flip right side up with that money. No "yeah, but's", my actions, fair or unfair, truly are speaking those words."

I know that's an annoying question. But it's the hard truth to the trendy wwjd bracelet. Maybe that's why the fad died- people started figuring out the answer and threw the thing away.

Thankfully, amidst my week of pondering, I am confronted with this scripture this morning at the end of Jonah (J.D.C. translation)-
"But the Lord said, "Have you more concern for a stupid material possession that could be gone tomorrow than the 120,000 lost souls of your city?"

Christianity was so much easier when I wasn't listening...

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad theology? Please explain.

Scott Williams said...

I just spoke on Johah tonight to a bunch of jr highers at their VBS in a church in a neighboring town. I was speaking about obedience and that it only through our obedience that the light of Jesus can shine through our lives. When we disobey we cover, or more likely, extinguish the light. Interesting enough though, I recently read something that got me thinking. It stated that God does not need our obedience to accomplish whatever he wants. He can use our disobedience just as well, however, he desires us to obey so that we can learn to trust in him and accomplish things through us. Not quite sure what I think of that yet, but I do see how God has used people's disobedience to accomplish many great things. (Not advocating to disobey because it doesn't matter or anything along those lines) Jonah's disobedience gave us a great book of the Bible and an example to look at.

Dan Krause said...

I submit one of my Holy Craps to bring this down from it's current, high philosophical/theological level.

"You know those bracelets that say, "What would Jesus do?" Personally, I don't think Jesus would waste his money on useless crap!"

And release. Doesn't it feel good not to think...
But yeah...your question raises interesting tangents...One's that I refuse to get in to. Okay, perhaps later I will when it's not 1:45 in the morning.

zibaby said...

am i getting edited on this site?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your intimate thoughts Jonathina...the $20 that I spent at Old Navy last night really makes me feel bad now!!

jonathandy said...

Response to Dawn:
Turns out I failed to think about the fact that most people reading this blog have probably read the book and really enjoyed it. As I remove my foot from my mouth, I wil give an explanation. But not yet. I'm on pg. 194 and would prefer to complete it before truly discussing it... even though I already summarized it... foot back in mouth.

jonathandy said...

Response to Liz:

biblesundbound.com
gfa.org

;)

Anonymous said...

Way to go son! I read Dawn's response above and then looked at her blogsite. "Blue Like Jazz" is on her favorite book list.

You better finish up reading that thing and then explain yourself!

(I just like jumping in and stirring up trouble every now and then)

Anonymous said...

Okay, Okay for crying out loud!! I get the message!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I love you Liz!

Anonymous said...

I did enjoy the book. (obviously, since it is on my favorites. Thanks for pointing that out Gary!) You were supposed to read my response in a tone of wonderment (is that a word?--"Bad theoloy?" What do you mean?) I was curious what you meant by bad theology. I ask a lot of questions. That's how I learn. It's okay. I'm not upset. You can take your foot out of your mouth. I'm thinking it looks really small anyway sticking out of your mouth since your head is so big. (Just a little humor!!!-wink, wink)

jonathandy said...

So Dad, that's almost like sneaking around a corner and pushing me into someone and then hiding before they turn around. And not just anyone, we're talkin Dawn Williams here; that's like pushing me in to a bouncer having a bad day. Dawn, I think it would be best if you had my dad read the book and give you a review.

Anonymous said...

WIMP!!!!

Danny Schulz said...

Ahh the never ending debate. Caleb shed some interesting light on this subject last night I thought. I remember getting on my friends in college for buying expensive jackets but now I buy expensive houses. Hmm...

Maybe we should measure our greed level by how much we give as opposed to how much we spend. It might make me feel a little better anyway.

Joyce Collins said...

Just seems like this should go here!
http://www.thedashmovie.com/

Joyce Collins said...

Jonathan, is this one of your pictures from Peru?

jonathandy said...

Yeah, you can see the back of me behind the girls. This was on the Amazon river in the Peruvian jungles.

jonathandy said...

oh, and if you look reeeaally close, you can see Sandy way back in the white shirt and blue pants. She had her hair died brown then.

Joyce Collins said...

I recognized you. Those were your skinny days! I had to look twice. I am sure glad you have a wife that has helped you put some weight back on!!!!!