7.23.2006

book review for Dawn and friends


(Found in comment section
warning-it's a little lengthy)

21 comments:

jonathandy said...

First the positives:
I think ol' Donny did an excellent job of reminding the church of our first and most critically important assignment (after loving the Lord our God with everything): love your neighbor as yourself. He reminds and challenges us to get in to the community and do practical ministry. He teaches us how to love with no strings attached. He shows that we lack awareness in politics, social issues, and what everyone else is concerned with. He brings to life many of the thoughts and struggles within the church that people are incapable of putting in to words. In fact, I think the main reason his work is so well received is his gift of writing has people responding, "Yeah, that's how I feel! I couldn't organize my thoughts enough on my own, but he has nailed it on the head." I think it's great when an author can help a reader identify what's going on inside. Also, he is very entertaining and effectively covers many topics without diluting his message.

Now to explain my stamp of "bad theology":
A perfect theologian does not exist. I give Mr. Miller much grace and don't slander his name nor his heart. However, we are warned time and time again in scripture to be on guard against bad theology and test all things before permitting them to reside in our minds and hearts. As John Bevere says in "Thus Saith the Lord?", "Teaching establishes us, but warnings protect us! If we are only taught, and the warnings are neglected, we can lose what was established through the ministry of teaching."(p.11)

So, their are four main messages that permeate the book cover to cover. The first is how he explains why he believes in God; more accurately, how he has no explanation for why he believes. His reason for belief in the Almighty is reduced to unexplainable warm fuzzies and this...thingy...that happens in his heart when he thinks about God. What scares me the most about his explanation is that I believe most people jump on board with him because that is the extent of their reason for believing. 1 Peter 3:15 says, "...and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear." The disciples reason for belief was that they knew Him, that they saw His power manifest, and that they performed His power. Paul's reason was that he encountered a great light and a great voice that blinded him for three days and spoke destiny in to his life. Peter's reason was because of a vision/dream where he encountered God and was given a message to take to the nations. Numerous others believed because they saw the manifest power at work in their lives through healing, deliverance, raising the dead, miraculous provision, etc. How happy Satan must be that the majority of the church has challenged their faith to the extent of warm fuzzies. So a challenge to those who read this: are warm fuzzies the greatest fullness of God you have experienced? Is that the extent you will teach and encourage others to experience as well?

Nowhere in scripture are we told to settle for warm fuzzies. That reason for belief is as about as powerful as the waddle of a duck. We have a God who has given us wings.

The second concern I have is in regards to open slander of the bride of Christ. Warning is good. Evaluating is good. Admitting our weaknesses is good. But generalizing and slandering your Church before the entire reading community is far from responsible. It's like shooting your teammate's in the foot and then gossiping to the press that they aren't doing well in practice. And he does this cover to cover. If I let it absorb, I could walk away from this book embarrassed to identify with the faith I signed up for. I could go on with this, but I won't.

The third danger in this book is a overwhelming taste for the lack of the fear of God. His relaxed approach to sin and righteousness permits the lukewarm to continue being puke-able. Call me old fashioned, but irreverence for the commands of God won't keep you saved for very long.

The fourth red flag is what I believe to be the root of the previous three. To put it bluntly, I don't believe him. I don't believe he knows God. I'm not challenging his salvation, nor could I, but rather his intimate place with the Father. I don't believe he has been on his knees. I don't believe his Bible is tired. The more people I meet who truly know God, the more easily it is to identify those who don't. It scares me to death to think that a man who does not appear to truly know God can be so influential to those who are trying to. Without true intimacy and pursuit of God Himself, all of the love of others and involvement in the community amounts to nothing. As can be seen with many other ministries, it is barely more than the YMCA or Big Brothers Club wearing a Jesus name tag.

I felt like I finished this book knowing more about Donald Miller than I did about true intimacy with the Father and how to turn that in to visible fruit. I felt as though he were selling his approach to spirituality more than the Bible's approach. Again, it permeates from cover to cover, ever so subtle.

I also understand why so many people enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. I grew from it. I was reminded of many things that I was forgetting. It is probably the most enjoyable read I've ever had. I don't look down upon those who hold it as a favorite... at all. Especially those who are theologically sound in pursuing who God is. If that is the case, this book has much to offer.

So why did I finish it? My reason for starting it was to see what food is out there that is pleasing the appetite of the American church. In light of what I found, I am heavily reminded...We have much work to do.

Danny Schulz said...

Great review. Makes me want to regularly review whatever we are reading on our blogs...this might be a good thing for us. A great reminder to read with a sharp mind that filters what we're reading through what scripture teaches.

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts. I read your post last night and had to digest it. I still am. I'm guilty of pulling insights out of books (things that speak to me) and dismissing the rest. I agree with you and I want to thank you for challenging me.

By the way, I am a friend, right? You did put for Dawn and Friends.
Also, I think you have a warped perspective of who I am. I mean, come on, a bouncer? I am nothing but a gentle flower. I have know idea where the bouncer idea came from. You must be thinking of Scott.

Scott Williams said...

Dawn is talking about me, Scott Williams, not Scott Lee. He sounds like a like a preschool girl when he laughs according to what I've heard.

Anonymous said...

First, I can't say that I read your review. Second, I just wanted to say Hi and tell you that I am jealous of you guys moving to San Diego, you will be so close to the ocean and Jeff and Brandi. I miss seeing you both, I hope all is well.

jonathandy said...

Dawn- you're not just a friend, you're a SPECIAL friend. And Scott's not a bouncer...but he is bouncy.;)

Angie- good to hear from you. And don't be jealous of us going to San Diego. You should be proud of your...fields...and...shrubs...and...weather?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy and Jonathan! I enjoy reading about what's going on with you guys. I have a myspace, but not a blogspot. I loved working with Tricia and I would always ask about you guys. Talk to you later!!!

Scott Williams said...

First of all, I'm not bouncy, I'm just extra loveable. Second, I'm not real sure that was the point of the book. I agree with you with what you've written as for how he looks at things, but I get the impression that the book was written out of a "this is where I'm at in the Journey" thing. Rather than a this is how you do it thing. As you mentioned, the book is entertaining and a good read which I think is first and foremost the purpose. I personally like the fact that he doesn't come across as "this is it do as I say" book. I mean the book is titled "Blue Like Jazz". Not that you're wrong in your assessment, it's just that I'm not sure if that was the purpose of the book. It's more of an autobiography of where he's at and where he's been. I think we need to be careful in what we read and accept too, but (not that you are doing this) some people are vilified for writing whatever (example: the da vinci code was a fictional book that the church went nuts over)You're second point of slandering the church is somewhat valid, but when do we admit that we have screwed up? It's in our humbleness and our ability to ask for forgiveness that the Bride will be able to present herself to the Bridegoom. We do have a lot to be "proud" of but, we do have a lot to be absolutely ashamed of. You say this, "I could walk away from this book embarrassed to identify with the faith I signed up for." Many, many have already because of what we've portrayed and many many will not even consider signing up because of what we've done. I'm not advocating marketing God, but our general image is not that good. We are currently known throughout much of the world, especially North America, as evil angry republicans who hate gay people, people who have abortions and anyone who doesn't vote the way that James Dobson wants us to. It's not the image that I think God wants for us, but it's the one we have right now. We have a ton of books and speakers out there who are patting us on the back and say good job (which is good, by the way) but we've only allowed those outside our circles to critique us and we tend to ignore them.
Anyway, I agree with you whole heartedly...We still have much work to do.

Anonymous said...

I will write more later - but I am struck mainly by your judgement of Donald Miller - your statements of not believing he has been on his knees or that his bible is tired. (not that you would judge his salvation - but seems everything else is up for grabs.)I also think you think too highly of yourself and your opinion. You are entitled - but is "theology" only approved by you when it agrees with you? Ease up on the guy - it is his "story" about his journey - and he seems to be making in authentic to who he was and is becoming - seems you are wanting all our stories to read the same and come form the same path to the same conclusions - glad you weren't around in 323 A.D. Anyway - lighten up - give him some grace - and hey when can I read your book - ?

Scott Williams said...

Who are you anonymous? Coming off a little strong for somenone not putting your name on your post. Don't know who you are, but I think JC is right about the theology issues. He also said that a "perfect theologian doesn't exist" JC's 4th red flag is the one that probably set you off, but he's talking about "intimacy" with the Father and Miller doesn't come across as someone who is intimate with the Father, thus the comment. As I stated in a previous post, as well as Johnathan, I enjoyed the book. I didn't however enjoy it because it was a theological masterpiece, but rather because it was a fun read that spoke some about loving our neighbors.

jjschulz said...

Being a juror is an interesting job; you listen to a party that tries to convince you of a person's guilt and then another party argue for their innocence and then make a decision on another person's life based on what you have heard. I think we all wish that we could tap into the Omniscience of God and knowing the guilt or innocence of every situation, erradicate the need for juries and personal opinons. However, heaven is still delayed and here we are on planet earth, left to hear out convincing arguments on both sides and then make the best decision we can, hoping that it is the right one. Since we are all in the same boat, making decisions with limited knowledge, I don't know that we can fault each other for not seeing the way we see on an issue. I cannot fault the author of this book for his perspective, although I disagree in light of what I see in Scripture. I believe that is what Jonathan is trying to communicate, correct me if I am wrong Jonathan. I notice that in Jonathan's review he says I believe and feel rather than I know. If the author failed to convince Jonathan of his argument, I don't believe that Jonathan is in the wrong for saying so. I believe it to be a healthy thing in the Body of Christ when we can lovingly, openly and honestly communicate about our different perspectives and opinions. It is a difficult balance to walk the line between believing everything that is being propagated in the Body of Christ these days and camping out in the critic's corner. We need to be able to judge teaching (even when it comes in the form of somebody's personal experiences) through the filter of the Word of God. I honestly believe that to the best of Jonathan's ability, he is attempting to walk the balance of that line. I also believe that from knowing him, he is always up for a good challenge on his personal opinions. Let's at least give him the courtesy of using our names and communicating lovingly. But that is just my perspective.

Joyce Collins said...

That is my Jonathan! Shakes what needs to be shaken and leaves alone what needs to be left alone!
(except when he wanted to know how many times we see the same raindrop in our lifetime!) :?)

Anonymous said...

Hello again from anonymous - let me introduce myself - My name is Mark and I am a fellow follower of Christ. I have been part of the organized church for all of the years I have breathed (almost 44). I even hold a theology degree and an ordination certificate - so I have spent a little time reflecting on this issue - and the more I learn and study the less I feel I have God and His ways figured out.
I appologize for my outburst - but your review frustrated me. For you to make the criticism that you do not believe that Donald Miller knows God - and this based upon his book - and I just don't get that - I have read the book 3 times and have been a part of a discussion group of people through the book (by the way Timmy Smith says hello and so do Ben and Lori) I am a very open minded man - open enough to feel that like most of our new testament verbs - DM is in the process of "knowing" God. I could sit and argue with you and discuss all of the pages filled with his calling out to God and his life lived trying to figure out what it means to serve God - but we might see those things differently. But to say "He does not Know God" - that seems a very strong and judemental statement - and for those that I have purchased this book for and have walked through it and they have indentified with the parallels of their lives it has been instrumental in furthering their "knowing" God. I agree I have not looked to this book to be a book of theology - not like my volumes of Moltmann and feel it is unfair of you to put that lense over this book. Your critical "review" reminds me of when others say a movie is fantastic and it gets lots of press and then I go to see it and see it with such a critical eye I am unable to see the beauty of it. Miller states that Christianity was doing nothing for him it did not excite him because he wasn't experiencing it - what he was longing for was the mysterious; God reacing out of heaven to do wonderful things in my life (that doesn't really sound like warm fuzzies to me)He states that he loved talking about Jesus and the spirituality that goes along with a realtionship with Him. I just feel like we read two different books. Ok - not that it really matters to me if you like the book or not - that is personal preference - and I realize you used words like "feel" and "think" - but please don't say - DM doesn't know God - the NT speaks so much of how we will be suprised about who really knew God and who did not - and it seems the righteous that always seemed to say they did - are the ones that came up on the short end of the stick - and the most unlikely who did. It is getting harder and harder for me to seperate our actions in life from our faith claims and this seem to align with my Weslyian tradition.
So again - sorry for my original outburst - so easy to expound to the faceless blog..have a blessed day and go read some more books... If you are ever in Seattle lets meet in a coffee shop and have a good page by page battle - a good thing to do while the man sit on the street outside with an empty hat and a sign for help...On the journey...Mark

Anonymous said...

I guess I’m kind of the bridge that brought Mark to this blog. I am apart of a book discussion with Mark that is looking at Blue Like Jazz, and I passed Jonathan’s review on to Mark thinking he would find it interesting, which he did. I think Mark finds the beauty in disagreeing just like I do, so read his comment as something beautiful. I also feel like I know Jonathan well enough to say he is probably entertained by the comments, and appreciative of them all. The problem with blogs is that we don’t get to have “real” conversations that include back and forth dialog. Disagreeing feels a lot less attacking at times when we are in person. But, with us all over the country this is the best we have.

I also think it’s a tough job in this world to make statements, especially ones that seem so radical. When someone makes a radical statement it’s easy for others who do not know that person to jump all over them with out knowing anything about that person personally. Despite the fact that BLJ is a couple hundred pages in length, it still only gives a glimpse into Donald’s life that leaves people all sorts of room to make judgments. I know that Jonathan is a person who has a faith that I envy and admire. I know that Jonathan has also made some radical statements that have caused people to look at him with judgment without knowing the whole story behind his life. So in the same way I can see why some of John’s comments have come across a little judgmental, but hey, it’s his blog and he can say what he wants. But, he also allows comments to be posted by anyone, and I think Mark has the right to do so, and I’m glad he exercised that right.

All that to say, the real reason I wanted to comment was to say hi to Jonathan and Sandy, and to say thanks for creating a venue for us to read your thoughts-they are often good ones.

Joyce Collins said...

Ben! A peace maker!!!! I smile big and proud as I am made aware of what God has done in your life!!! You are a blessing to many! (Maybe 15 years ago that would have been hard to say! :?) )
I hope all is well with you and Lori!

Anonymous said...

sorry that Ben wasn't a blessing at 7 years of age - but then who is - SDF

jonathandy said...

Scott W.: Thank you for honesty to critique and encourage my thoughts on the book

Jamie: Great perspective for us to look from. Thank you for adding to the quality content of this blog. Your praise humbled me.

Jackie & Clint: I'm enjoying your invisible presence. You must be chompin at the bit. lol

Ben: Hello! Glad to hear from you. Thanks for connecting the dots as to who Anonymous Mark is. I respect your thoughts and always welcome them. In response to only hearing 200-ish pages of Miller's thoughts in regards to my critical statements, I fully believe that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks...or the writer types. And honestly, I believe we begin to see the heart of a person within the first few paragraphs, words, or actions they portray. I am not at all frustrated with Miller for his imperfections. I am frustrated with the amount of people in the church embracing them as good meat for the spiritual journey.

Anonymous Mark: pleased to meet you. I would be interested in hearing your review of this book, especially since you read it three times. However, I have no desire to dissect it with you nor read it again to gain new perspective as I only see one Book and one Author deserving such great attention.

Anonymous said...

UMMM, Hi, it's Emily Craiglegs here...my comment might not amount to much but I thought I would still say a little something. Jonathan's comments kinda rubbed me the wrong way at first because they initially seemed a bit judgemental, as was mentioned above. But, as I have the book in front of me and honestly don't have much desire to finish the last few chapters it makes more sense. So far warm fuzzies is all I have felt. I have found it boring and vague...not the raving book I've been hearing about. Maybe my expectations were too high, I don't know. For my small mind and even smaller knowledge about "good" and "bad" theology it is obvious there is something deeper missing. Maybe it should be classified as a memoir about Don Miller and a spiritual journey or something.....that's all. I'm sure you're all enlightened now. Ha.
Emily

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind it did say "non religious thoughts on Christianity." Plus I think the kind of Christianity he tears down (if any) is the warm fuzzy type that is so popular.

jonathandy said...

hello...donald?

Anonymous said...

Not as in Miller, as in Donald from Denver who wonder acrossed your blog.