I realize that few things rattle the walls of the Church more than the topic of money. I was recently in a lengthy online discussion regarding this topic and came to recognize, again, that good Biblical teaching on this subject is scarce. I have encountered few preachers that I respect more than Pastor Wendell Smith of the City Church in Kirkland, Washington. I'm not looking for another online opinionated mess, but I thought I would share one (of many) of his excellent teachings on Biblical finances that I listened to tonight.
It's lengthy, but it's worth way more than your t.v. time for the evening:
"Prosperity with Integrity"
-be blessed-
12.19.2006
$$$$ + Church = Confusion & Controversy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is an excellant teaching on prosperity with integrity. So many Christians I know live with what I call a "poverty" attitude. That is what they expect from God is to live just above the poverty line. Now, I also believe that God would ask us to sacrifice; but if we are to be world changers isn't that going to take millions and billions of dollars? That is what the pastor said. Something else that struck me: when we are in need of something, we should do the opposite of what we think. We should actually give of the few resources we do have instead of skimp and save. That is a hard thing to do, but if you think about it that principle is actually putting your faith in a miraculous God! Why not expect God to provide for every need instead of just sing or read it. Great teaching!
Doesn't look like this one went over so well Jonathina!!
JC,
Still haven't gotten all the way through the thing. It's so long. I'll try.
Yeah, it's a long one. That's kind of why I put it on here. You can't possibly present a full comprehension of the doctrine in one sermon... unless of course, your sermon is an hour and 45 minutes. :)
Conferences lend themselves to longer messages. I decided that Pastor Wendell has a grace to teach on controversial subjects in a way that makes you wonder why there's even controversy. He's just amazing at tackling the hard subjects of faith and making them seem understable and doable.
Post a Comment