3.01.2008

Decathlon Review

My outdoor season has officially begun. I found an early decathlon and decided to go for it this weekend. It takes a lot of prep time and fine tuning to put together a good dec. but we decided it would be healthy for me to get one under my belt before attempting to qualify for Olympic trials. All in all it was a successful meet with 7 decathlon p.r.'s and only a couple major disappointments.
First the bad news:

In the first event, the 100m, they had the finish line camera set up to run into a 15 mph headwind and were unwilling to change directions (even though rules require it). That, mixed with an unseen false start by the guy next to me, had me stuttering out of the blocks and fighting to hold good speed. I figure I threw away about a quarter of a second, losing 50 points.

In the high jump, the facility was such that the approach started on the grass and had us running within inches of the field goal post. I've been dealing with a patella tendon issue that only flares up in the high jump and mostly only when my step is off. With the given approach and not having a teammate or coach there, I never got my step on in warmups. I came in low to make sure I grabbed some points, but had to bail in pain after my first clearance. I went 5'9" but have been jumping 6'2" - 6'4" in practice. Throwing away 5-7 inches cost me roughly 150 points.

The good news:

After the high jump, I hit the training room for some quick therapy and came back out to run a 49.38 in the 400m. I won by a second and a half and ran a lifetime best, posting an early season time that should be among the top 10 for the nation this year.

On day two, my opening height in the vault was a conservative 13'6". All but one of the competitors was out by that height so I vaulted my way up to a 14'9" (4.50 m) clearance by myself. That's kind of the unofficial beginnings of a world class decathlete vaulter. Without other competitors left in the event, it gets very tiring very quickly due to less rest. I had plenty of height for a 15 foot day, but my exhaustion on a lonely 8th event had me drained for the final three attempts at that height.

After the vault I reluctantly went over to warmup for javelin, having 30 minutes before its start. Most of the competition was able to sneak in an extra hour of rest while I was vaulting. (I got my good rest while they vaulted) Warmups were horrible as I was only throwing around 140'-150'. I had a 175' p.r. and have been looking good in practice this winter. Due to a short runway, I was only able to use a three step approach (instead of a full 5) so I lacked hope that anything impressive would happen. However, after my first throw in the competition landed past the 170' line, I got a new boost of adrenaline. My second throw was only 168', but I felt great. I finished the event with an aggressive 3rd attempt and hit my position well, throwing 183 ft! That's a lifetime best, coming from a three step in february. I'm excited to see what happens this year with jav. That throw is only 10 feet off of a world class performance.

My intentions for this meet were to come with no anxiety, leave with no anxiety, no matter what happened. My other goal was to break the 7,000 point barrier to gain confidence going in to the later meets. I threw away over 200 points and saw plenty of room where I could have picked up an additional 500 points fine tuning some things. I finished the meet with 7,018 points and no anxiety. It was a trip worth taking has me fired up to go grab hold of those lingering 700 points in 6 weeks.

Below is a chart showing where I've come from and where I'm heading in the decathlon. It is now more of a time game than anything else. I no longer mull over the question, "can I do it?" but "can I do it in time?"












I will post pictures later if the photographers follow through to email me some. I'm taking the long way home and spending the next day and a half in Yosemite Nat. Park and The Sequoia Forest, much to my brother's jealousy. Sorry bro, wish you could join me.

6 comments:

R. M. A. J. Romero said...

I've already got $100 on you for gold, so you'd better keep up the good work. :-)

Just kidding. If I really had $100, I'd probably spend it on beer.

jonathandy said...

lol. Always good to hear from you, Richard. Thanks for your support.

Scott Lee said...

Exciting dude!! Gets me pumped up!

angie said...

I always enjoy reading about how well you are doing...not that I understand all of your abbreviations but I still get the overall point!

Congratulations on your personal bests!!

Anonymous said...

Jon,
That is an amazing first meet. Sounds like with all of the poor facilities issues, you could have been good for 7500. I have to say, I'm in shock, not because I didn't think you could do it, just because you have come so far so fast. I know it probably doesn't seem fast to you though. Its so early in your training cycle, I'm excited to see what you do when you are really ready physically. Your jav distance was impressive as well as the vault. How's the shot and disc? Keep working!
Eric Davis
Lee's Summit North Track and Field

jonathandy said...

Eric,
Thanks for your continued interest. It's encouraging to get input from you. I remember just two years ago when I got a crash course coaching session from you on gliding and spinning. My shot has seen great improvement this winter, but I've been stuck in a recent slump. While training to throw correctly, I started throwing far, which got me excited. Instead of focusing on technique, I started focusing on throwing far, and sure enough, I stopped throwing well. Until I can get dialed in consistently, I'm throwing anywhere from 41-47 feet, but usually around 43. My overhead is finally landing in the low fifties and I am determined to break fifty in the glide by summer. I know it's in me, I just haven't seen it yet.

The disc and I have a love-hate relationship. When I'm on, it's fun, it's rhythmic, and it's satisfying. When I'm off, I feel like smashing the dumb thing in to pieces. On a good day I'm out past 140'. On most days I can land in the 130's no problem. It turns out that when it's time to compete, I can't get out of the 120's, which is totally ridiculous in that i can do a 120' standing throw. The harder I try, the worse the throw. I have to continually remind myself that discus is a dance, not a boxing match. For the past two years the disc has not gotten dialed in until the last month or two of the season, so I guess I need to calm down and trust that I'll see some 150's before summer.
I'd have to say that the disc and shot are the two events that I feel I'm using the least of my given potential in. I trust that it's coming, I just don't understand why it's not there yet. I'm sure you have seen plenty of that in your own athletes.