8.03.2006

The Summer Track Season Is Over!!



The summer track season is finally over. There were no special meets nor any official decathlons for the summer, but there was plenty of opportunity to set marks. This was a season of breakthrough as almost all of my marks went up significantly. Last year started around 5,000 points. This year started around 5,600 points. This year ended around 7,000 points!!





To give some perspective, 7,700 can get me in to the olympic trials and anything over 8,000 will usually qualify for the olympics (depending on the quality of the competitors that year). So that's roughly a 25% increase in one year with only another 12% needed in the next two years. Obviously progress will become more difficult, but I'm still setting personal bests every time I go to a meet.







San Diego will hopefully add much more opportunity for progress as I will be able to train through the winter without hinderance. Also, I will have access to real coaching down there, which will hopefully help my throws and jumps. I'm in the olympic window for the 100, 400, discus, and javelin. My 1500 exceeds the olympic performances. My hurdles, jumps, p.v., and shot put still need quite a bit of work, but they are coming along quickly. I increased in the pole vault by nearly three feet this year and only need a foot and a half to go. I dropped four seconds off my hurdle time and only need 1.5 more. My high jump and shot are still ugly, but I haven't give much attention to them in practice at all.

So things are looking up. Lord willing, they will continue to climb.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support that seems to flow continually.














My next track practice will include ocean views with cool breezes! So until the end of August, I'll be enjoying a little r&r.

adios, Bend.

8 comments:

Joyce Collins said...

If your "adios" would mean you were coming to KC it would not make me sad! I guess it makes me sad because you have truly been blessed during your time in Bend. God has certainly showered you with His blessings and you have learned a lot that I know you will take with you and allow others to be blessed by Father through you.

Anonymous said...

Sandy, What's this Monster Cookie dough recipe? Sounds Yummy:) Wanna share?

jonathandy said...

Monster cookie recipe:

1/4 cup trans fat-free butter
1/2 natural peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar (i usually do 1/2 cup)
1 egg
1 egg white
1.5 t. vanilla
2.5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup dark chocolate pcs.

350 deg. for 15 min
makes 24 "monster cookies"

quite tasty and much better for you than the average cookie

Joyce Collins said...

oooo....I think I will try that recipe! Only I will use Coconut oil instead of butter!!! :?)

Dan Krause said...

Way to go Jonathan. I knew you would do well in your training. I'm really proud of you. Can I say that?

Are you so bad at throwing, because you make such ugly faces doing it?

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

R. M. A. J. Romero said...

*whistles*

Anonymous said...

Way to go, JC! You have made some tremendous strides with your marks this year. Looks like the Trial are within reach! We'll keep pulling for you!