I had another track meet this past weekend and went 2 for 2 in personal records. First I ran the 100m dash, which I hadn't run since my decathlon in february. I ended up running 11.0 which is .4 faster than the decathlon and is a p.r. of .2 seconds! The start could still use some sharpening, so I'm hoping my next race will drop in to the 10 second range. This weekend positioned me in the hunt of being among the fastest decathletes in the nation in the 100 and is on the tail end of a world class performance!
I also had a great day in the vault setting a new p.r. by a foot! My form was rather sloppy all day, but I some how managed to swing the hips up at the last second.
Here's first attempt at 14'
second attempt at 14'7"
first attempt at 15'3"
and video below of my new p.r. 15'9" which is a healthy olympic level performance. I went up to a 16', 190lb pole for this one and am confident to start using 16' poles from here on out. As you can see with some of the earlier pictures, my hip height is ready for toying with a 17' vault if I can get my act together and sharpen up my mid vault movements. I decided to shut down and not attempt the next height to protect some tight muscles in my neck. Tight muscles are a set up for injured muscles if you're not smart. Sorry Ryan (shortino), I haven't cleared 16' yet, but I plan to next week.
A little motivational speech from polevault teammate Erin Asay who had just cleared 14'7" and made the A-list for olympic trials, leading the nation. It's her mission to beat me in the vault every meet (though it's never happened), but I think I have finally become safe.
And here's a little weight room action for those who are interested. We went fairly heavy last week and I was able to put up some good numbers. (two days before the meet)
Stay tuned for next week. I will be competing in the largest decathlon in U.S. history against 15 other athletes in the elite division representing 6 nations. I don't feel like I'm ready to play with the big boys, but time is no longer a commodity.
13 comments:
Great to hear about the last meet - on the internet and in person. I'm looking for those updated weekly prayer requests so we can pray specifically and thoroughly as you head into this huge season, and so I can rally the troops in Uganda (and elsewhere). And so great to see you on Sunday - I really miss you!
-Brent
Wow, 15' 9". That's awesome, cuz! You have made huge strides the last few months. I look forward to following your meets before the trials. Which events do you think you can gain the most ground on leading up to the trials?
Kevin
I love you dude. You're such a hoss.
Can't wait to watch you next week! I will be yelling for you! :?)
Pfff... I cleared 16' last week with a broken leg and indigestion. Get with it Collins.
Impressive, Collins! I can't believe how far you have come since you first started this journey. Most people have a steep learning curve on this stuff and then it plateaus out. You have a lot of time left, I'm praying and rooting for you. How's the disc coming along?
Coach Davis
LSN High School
way to go on the 100 and vault! i remember a few years ago when you first started training you were saying that you had never vaulted and didn't even know were to begin and God put some coaches/people in your path who actually had experience and POLES! sounds like we'll be watching you on t.v. this summer!! okay, here are my top three funny things from your videos...
3. the grunting from your crazy camara girl/cheerleader :)
2. the keg?
1. hearing people call you Jon!
I will train those people to call him by his real name!!!!!
JC
you're too much, we're all cheering for you
Way to go Jonathan--how spectacular. We are so very excited for you.
We're cheering for you in North Carolina!
Christy (Faron) Rice
Thank you all for your support and encouragement. You don't realize how much it means to Sandy and I.
Kevin- I want to continue to improve in all events (obviously), but there are four that NEED to improve and should start doing so any day now: long jump, shot put, high jump, and hurdles. I anticipate seeing great improvements in long jump and hurdles this week.
Coach Davis- disc is coming around nicely. I'm getting out of slump and focusing on two major aspect: a wide sweep out of the back and then focusing all my efforts and energies on extedning and rotating that right leg from the power position. Things come together well when I let the sweep generate linear speed and the right leg extension generate verticle speed. I spent about an hour in front of a huge mirror doing broomstick rotations; focusing on drilling that right leg straight up on 'release'. I went outside and took only 6 full throws and landed one on the 150' line. I haven't seen that throw again, but at least I know it's in me somewhere.
Thanks again for all your interest.
You've got it nailed down, its all about that right leg. I'll bet your shot starts coming around as you get things figured out in the disc. Keep hammerin' away!
Coach Davis
Post a Comment