4.05.2008

Sandy's trip to Oxford & Paris



The last time my mom flew on an airplane was 20 years ago. Her worst nightmare would be defined by anything having to do with heights and turbulance. She has had a terrible fear of flying...up until just recently.


My mom called me last November and asked if I would join her in a trip to England to visit my sister jackie. I was floored of course, and immediately took her up on the offer. We planned for a surprise visit to Oxford, England. We communicated through her husband Clint and ended up showing up on her doorstep Easter morning. Jackie woke up Easter morning to a video camera in her face, as Clint told her he had a scavenger hunt for her. He handed her a light blue plastic egg. "Open the egg, and read the phrase out loud" he told her. She doddled through the house until she reached egg number 5. This egg had a poem on it that led her to the back door. This is where I was hiding. She slowly opened the door and before I could see her entire face, she had doubled over in disbelief. We cried, hugged and then I handed her the last egg of her scavenger hunt. This one led her to the front door. My mom was behind this one....




What a brave little lady she was!


Clint & Jackie are residential directors in a house for American students studying in Oxford. In the 1800's this was a home for a family of four. On the right hand side is what appears to be the servants quarters. Their room is to the left of the door. It is a large bay window that you can barely see.
This is the back of their house (it holds 40 students plus Clint & Jackie)
In England, they don't have number addresses, instead the homes are named...their's is called "the vines" on Pullens Lane. This was the name from the original owners.
The backyard is almost an acre of open green smooth grass.

For the next seven days....bike riding, walking & the metro was our transportation






This is Regents at Oxford where Clint is studying






Home cooked meals by mom!


Jackie teaches math at an all girls school located 28 steps from her house! The school is pictured below. Last year she taught at a school that took at least one hour of biking + metro each way. She thinks the location of this school is quite nice...especially on rainy days...




Tasty food in Paris, fun shops and beautiful art!


The fashion in Paris was...black boots, black scarves, black gloves, black petty coats, black hats, black sweaters, and black pants...




Dinner, cards & cream puffs...wait...someone forgot to put the cream in the puff!




Yes. We think she's wierd too.

7 comments:

R. M. A. J. Romero said...

I still think you guys should take a trip to Rome--with an experienced tour guide, of course.

zibaby said...

Sister Sandeliscious...
I am SO glad you got to do this!

brojer

Anonymous said...

I read this with a huge smile on my face!! I know Jackie loved every minute of your visit! Your mom is so freakin' cute!!

jjschulz said...

Your pictures and commentary make me want to visit Oxford as well! Looks like an amazing trip. We missed you this weekend... all the girls are in agreement that Jonathan can't come back unless he has you by his side. =)

Lorelei said...

It's true what Jamie said. We missed you on this one. Looks like you had a blast in Europe, though. Can I go to Oxford with you? Just kidding... but seriously, I mean, yeah, anyhow, come visit soon!
(Oh, and are they really still wearing petticoats in France or are those just back in style? :)

Brook said...

I was so excited when I heard you and your mom were going there to suprise her! I love the egg hunt story...that Clint-he's so creative. I have to say, Jackie showed you both up in that last pic. Classic Jackie! I miss you all...oh to go back in time

Anonymous said...

I cried hearing your mom tell about the eggs and their contents... dad's quite the poet. Can't wait to get all the details from your mom. The pics are so cute... the scenery amazing...i want to go!! What an incredible trip! I'm SOOOO thrilled you and your adorable mom got to give Jackie the surprise of a lifetime... awesome memories!

I'm praying and cheering for Jonathan for next week..can't wait to hear how things go. God be with you both!! We love you much!! Mailed some goodies for Jonathan...sending more with Joyce :)