4.17.2008

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

So just a quick rundown of the decathlon for now, because I'm pooped:

Day 1: solid! I went 4 for 5 in personal bests including an 8" improvement in the long jump and a .3 improvement in the quarter going 49.0. At the end of day one I was just under half way to an Olympic Trials qualifier with 3,777 points.

Day 2: miserable! I came out pretty sore but warmed up well. I felt like I was ready to continue rockin' and rollin'. It seemed though, that the more I did, the more disconnected I felt. I left each event wondering why my head felt so spacey and unable to clearly communicate with my body. In the end, I realized that I was dehydrated. I would hydrate a little between events, but it only fueled me for a good warmup. I usually start every morning of my training with a large jug of water, and then maintain throughout the day. Being on the road and out of routine, I overlooked my early morning fill up. It made for four ho-hum events and a decision to not run the 1500 because of the added recovery time and threat to injury that it would cause.

I was on pace after 9 events to score over 7,300 points, which is still exciting news, as that would be a 300 point p.r. in a decathlon. Unfortunately, these situations are bound to happen to the best of 'em. I was just hoping to sneak pass the inevitable.
I'll be back with pics and vids in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the phone calls and texts that were full of faith and support. You guys are great!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all so proud of you Jonathan..Press on friend.

lots of love,Marti, Ron, Paulie, Alexa and JJ

Anonymous said...

You still seem encouraged. Good! Many people believe in you including the Zim's. Let the belief others have in you, fuel yours.

Anonymous said...

.....still cheering you on from here! We are so proud of you and your commitment is an amazing witness to us all!

we believe,
Bren & co.

beautyfromashes said...

God will take you China! We are all cheering for you
mamalee

R. M. A. J. Romero said...

Where did the pee post go? :-(

Joyce Collins said...

Eteled! :?)