For those who haven't heard, Sandy and I were in a serious car accident on friday. We were heading north out of Los Angeles towards Bend, Oregon. I don't remember much of anything that happened, but I will give the best report I can in no particular order and with no particular accuracy. (I was all but unconcious and Sandy was screaming too loud for her memory to pay attention :)
We may have been hit from the side by a car that doesn't show up in any reports yet, and then the fun began:
At one point we spun across the highway and had a nice encounter on Sandy's side with the median, now facing traffic head on:
At another point, maybe before or after the other two, my side of the car had a nice conversation with a red BMW who was travelling much faster than our car:

Either the hit from spinning backwards in to the median or the blow from the BMW created enough back-force to press my body in to the seat hard enough to bend and twist its frame, as well as pop the lining out of the back (Sandy's seat was already leaned back to "relaxed/napping" position):

I was awake for everything but I don't remember the accident, the police, the stretcher, the ambulance (we both got one), or much of the trip to the hospital. One thing I do remember is puking during my first CAT scan and again in the E.R. They couldn't move me until my tests had cleared, so I got to enjoy puking while in a neck brace and lying face up. When the results were in, they rolled me to my side and let it flow:
When all was said and done Sandy was okay and I had two CAT scans, three pukes, and Praise God, no broken neck, back, skull, or brain damage!! After six hours, Sandy and I walked out of the E.R. smiling and light headed!! I'm all bruised up inside from being pressed in to the seat, Sandy's poor little neck muscles are pretty sore, and I'm shakin off some neck and collar/shoulder pain. It doesn't sound like anything is going to last long term. Not too shabby for going in with potential brain damage and a broken neck!! God is Good!!!!
We are still waiting for fault to be given, insurance, etc. The police office is closed until monday. The news so far from the tow truck guy that was on the scene is that the BMW is at fault. She (the driver) is okay, other than the temper tantrum with the police. Our insurance will cover, among other things, all of our medical with no deductible if we are given fault!
Until the results are in, the "Super Sentra" remains faithful. Speaking of faithful, an incredible little lady housed us, fed us, and helped connect us to our (only) San Diego friends
that begged to come and get us. God's people were faithful in our time of need. Also a shout-out to the Bend friends who were willing to fly us up or fly themselves down , even when they couldn't afford it, were getting married in three days, were moving to Africa in a few weeks, moving to Idaho in one week, etc. etc.

Thank you all so much. There are so many of you that I truly believe don't hold the phrase "I'll be praying for you" lightly. It's thrown around loosely and falsely often. Thanks to those who dropped everything, got on their knees, got out their tears, and prayed a miracle in to existence. The CAT scan moment was truly an encounter with the manifest presence of God. Angie, you're next!


19 comments:
Thanks to my KCW family and the connections made! My children were cared for and I will be forever grateful! God has been good to all of us. It was so hard being so far away from my children and yet so comforting knowing we serve a God who cares about His people and I knew they were in good hands! Thanks to Margaret who prayed as soon as I got off the phone. Thanks to Dwayne Armstrong for providing his mother-in-law. Thanks to Marcia Lee for coming to our house and staying by our side until she knew we were OK...just as she did when Bryan died. What do people do who do not have God and friends?
Jonathan and Sandy,
I'm so glad that you're safe, and you got off relatively unscathed!
Praise God!!! - We serve an AMAZING God! We are so glad you guys are okay, we are continuing to pray for a quick recovery! We Love you guys!
We love you two! Praise the Lord that you are doing ok. We'll continue to pray for you!
God's hands must be sore today. He definitely wrapped them around you two on that wild highway bumper car ride. You now have just one more life event to use in your ministry.
I am so thankful that the two of you are doing so well, looking at the pictures, hearing and reading about how you are doing you are fantastic. I was writing on my blog when Brian came in and told Brenda and I, we stopped immediately and prayed. In the past couple of weeks I have honestly for the first time realized/accepted how powerful prayer is. I know that sounds like something I should of learned a long time ago, but I didn't.
Well, my CAT scan wasn't as eventful as yours. But, it was the beginning to my journey that God has put before me. And I can't wait to be next, but in a lot of ways I already feel that I am there.
so, as you can see, the back wheels are not drivable. right after the accident- when our car had completely stopped spinning, jonathan looked at me with all seriousness and said "sandy, what just happened?" he then proceeded to step on the gas and try to drive our car! While he was doing this a truck drove by and a cute little latino man stuck his head out the window while shaking his finger back and forth and said "eh man, i wouldn't do that if i was you". the latino man happens to be the ONE and ONLY thing jonathan remembers from the accident. and we know he is the son of joyce when: doctors asked if he was on drugs or medication, jonathan responded with a 5 minute speal about his multivitamins and fish oil pills he was taking.
ok, so i just have to share some other funny things. now that things are really clearing over and jonathan and i are healing quickly:
when doctors asked jonathan where he was sore- he proceeded to tell the doctors of the previous days track workout.
the police found a check book in our car. when they asked jonathan what to do with it- he responded with "we don't buy drugs officer".
once in the E.R. jonathan asked me OVER 20 times (in less than 5 minutes) whose fault the accident was.
Isn't it odd, the feeling you have after a bad car accident? Everything seems like such a blur. Ben and I had one a few years back and (thankfully) I don't remember much about it. I do remember though, one guy asking me if I needed a cigarette so I could calm down while we were waiting for the ambulance. I was like, "No, what are you, crazy?!"
We are so glad that you all are safe and on your way to recovery. God is good and puts a shield around us even when we don't ask for it. You will continue to be in my prayers as you heal both physically and financially. I too am learning what prayer means and what it means to have a relationship with God. Thank you Angie, Jonathan, Scott, Scotty, Ben, etc. You're blogs have been a wake up call to me.
Michelle Suits
Most important question:
What were you eating that made vomit that color?!
You see--this is what happens when I come to town and we aren't able to hang out. You're lucky a helecopter didn't hit you...
Those stories are too funny, Sandy. I can just picture Jonathan saying that stuff. I also think it's slightly humorous that you HAVE pictures from inside the hospital. That camera goes everywhere with you. "Oh, I'm in pain, but look at what Jonathan did!"
yes. the camera is always with me :) the nurse made him stay in that position for a little over 5 minutes. Seemed like a perfect picture opportunity! :)
Just wanted to say I'm glad you both are safe... can't say I'm surprised though, you know God always pulls through for those who love and fear him... and that would be you guys! Love you both so much :) I'm sure Jonathan will be back in training in no time!
It is so nice to have friends that when they say they are praying for you, you really know they are praying for you! If I were to ask some of my friends to pray for me, it would go something like this,"Yeah, I'll pray for you, but good luck!" or "Sure I'll pray and rub my luck rabbit foot for you too!" I am so glad that you all are well and out of the hospital! I was praying for as well...and wishing on my lucky star for you too! Just kidding! Love to you both!
We're so glad you came two came through the accident safe. That's 2 for 2 among guys in my small group with miracle survival. Amazing. I'm praying that track record continues in our youth group which we take tomorrow.
The wedding went great, Caleb and Ashley looked great...as did the bridal party. Would have looked better with you two in it though (no offense to Lorelei or Brig of course). On with the will of God in Bend, SD, Idaho and beyond! When do you get to practice again?
Okay..this is no joke and I had to share it with you two because of what I wrote yesterday. After seeing this response, I truly know that prayer is so taken for granted! This is the response I got from my husbands father in response to an email I sent out for people to pray for me...He said, "We and others are praying plus I got my fingers cross and that works-------------" UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Hey guys...so glad that ya'll are ok. I got the call from Seth and started praying! We serve a great big God!!! Love ya both so very much!
Trina S.
okay, I finally found the blog about your accident. Wow, you all got crunched! Correction, your car got crunched. Even though it's way after the fact...I'm so glad you all are okay! Love ya!
Post a Comment